top of page

Title Transfers



Buying or Selling a Vessel (Changing Ownership)

What If I Purchased a Vessel That Is Already Registered in California?

Obtain the California Certificate of Ownership (title) from the seller with the owner's signature release on line "1" of the title.

Print your name and address and sign on the back of the title.

If the title is lost, provide a REG 227 with the previous owner's releasing signature.

If the vessel was not purchased from the owner whose name appears on the title, you will need a bill of sale from each in-between buyer.



Changing Vehicle Ownership Checklist.

We will need these items to transfer ownership of a vehicle to your name:

California Certificate of Title (Pink Slip) or Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227) if the title is lost.

Signature(s) of seller(s) and lienholder, if any, on the Certificate of Title.

Signature(s) of buyer(s) on the Certificate of Title.

Odometer disclosure for vehicles less than 10 years old.

Smog certification.

Transfer fee.

Use tax and/or various other fees.

Instate Transfer :


Time for an upgrade or trade ? So you just purchased your new car what next ?

In the state of California you have 10 days to register a vehicle after the purchase date.  The DMV is out of the question with some of the longest wait times and your hectic schedule it just won't work. Instead make it a umi experience ! We will have you in and out with a new registration card and Tags in 15 mins max. 

OutState Transfer :


Have you just moved to California and need to switch the auto registration from your old state to California ?

We can assist you with the steps needed to complete the transfer. All you will need to have is an old registration card or a title. The umi team will work simultaneously from start to finish to ensure that the smog check, vin verification and paperwork get processed in an adequate amount of time. At the end of the transfer our lovely staff will place your new California plates on the vehicle and send you on your way ! 



Additional information regarding changing vehicle ownership contact to UMI Smog.

Contact Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
bottom of page